Mario's World Forums  

Go Back   Mario's World Forums > The Rest > ► PC Hardware

► PC Hardware (Forum related to the discussion of PC hardware. i.e.: CPU's, GPU's, motherboards, RAM et al.)

Old 27th March 2011, 12:21 PM   #1
sleeker

Default New Build

Ok building a new system very soon....

CPUs looking at the 970 and the 2600k any thoughts???
sleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Mario
Special Guest

Default Re: New Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeker View Post
Ok building a new system very soon....

CPUs looking at the 970 and the 2600k any thoughts???
What an uninspiring thread title.

Either CPU is fine, probably the 2600K I'd say.
If you plan on gaming you know the GPU is very important. Don't even think you'll get any real gaming out of an in-built graphics on either a motherboard or CPU. Spend $300-350 on a decent GPU. Speaking of which, I am selling my less-than-a-year-old ASUS GTX-480 GPU for around that price. It has a three year warranty which means it still has over 2 years left. Purchased locally from NetPlus, and has never been overclock or any such bullshit. Paid over $900 for it. Don't be fooled by the 560-570 range - they're the "cheap" versions of the 580 for the masses. The 480 is the second fastest/best nVidia GPU after the 580 (which sells for no less than $550). If you go for an AMD (ATI) GPU I'd guess one of the higher end Radeon HD 5000/6000 series. The point is, whichever brand's GPU you get, the cost should be around the $350 mark. Anything less and I wouldn't be happy. I'd also suggest an SSD. Coincidentally, I'm also selling my Corsair F120 for $280. You can have both for $600. Whatever motherboard you get, it should have at least a couple of SATA 6GB/s and USB3 ports.

PS: If your total upgrade budget is only a few hundred dollars, speak to Dean - don't insult me.

Warning:
If you're getting an Intel Sandy Bridge chipset motherboard, make sue it's not one of the affected ones!! By now most local dealers should not have the old stock, but I'd check.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote