Mario's World Forums  

Go Back   Mario's World Forums > The Rest > ► PC Software

► PC Software (Forum related to the discussion of PC software. i.e.: O/S's, programming, web coding, games et al.)

Old 28th January 2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Mario
Special Guest

Thumbs down UBISOFT launches Online Services Platform (OSP) on PC.

Quote:
Online Services Platform Q&A
Frequent Asked Questions about Ubisoft's Online Services Platform for PC

What is the added value of this platform for PC gamers?
A CD/DVD is not required to play the game. The protected game can be installed as many times and on as many computers as you like! Saved games are also synchronized online so the user can continue playing from where he/she left off from any computer; at work, at a friend's place etc.

How many players can play at the same time (concurrently)?
There is no limit to how many players can play at the same time. For each title, we carefully study the demand and allocate servers accordingly. We will also of course allocate back-up servers in order to be able to respond to fluctuations in demand.

How many computers can I install the game on?

There is no limit to the number of computers on which you can install the game! However you can only play with your individual Ubisoft account on one computer at a time.

Is there an "off-line" option?

No. The added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you don’t need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.

Can I play my game from another computer?

Yes. As long as the game is installed on the PC, you can play from any computer and your Ubisoft account will recognise your last saved position as well as automatically save any updates.

Can I play from an airport or when I'm travelling ?
Anywhere you have an internet access, you can play.

Can I use the Ubisoft account for both single player and multiplayer online?
Yes, using your Ubisoft account , once you are signed in, all aspect of the gameplay are available to you.

I am in a strict environment with lots of firewall rules etc. Can I still play the game?
If you can access the Internet from the computer, you can play the game.

What if I lose my account or my computer crashes?
Customer service is available to help you re-access your account. If you experience a computer crashes, the game will will still recognise your license and all synchronizations made before the crash will be stored online.

What if Ubisoft decides not run these online services in the future? Will my game stop working?
Ubisoft is committed to being a forerunner in providing new exciting online service. If any service is stopped, we will create a patch for the game so that the core game play will not be affected.

What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

Why do I need to register with a Ubisoft account?
The synchronized saved games are personal, so to access them you need to log in. Even if your computer crashes you will be able to access your saved games with your Ubisoft account and continue your game from another computer. The services tied to your account will work regardless if you purchase the game as a physical or digital copy from any distributor.

Will all my saved games be stored online?
Yes! They will be stored both online and on your PC.

Will customers need to upgrade their Internet connection to broadband speed?
No. We've made sure that the game is playable even with the lowest (A)DSL connections.

Will I need to be online the whole time when I play the game? Including for single player?
Yes. You will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.

Will this platform use Uniquekeys?

Yes. Uniquekeys are verified throughout this system.

Do any services run when I am not playing?

No. The only service that might be running after you exit the game is the online synchronization of saved games which runs until it is completed. It is not a hidden window, so you can cancel it at any time, and it will finish the synchronization the next time you start the game.

Do you add any monitoring tools to my computer?

No! We respect your privacy and will only access information needed for the new services and game to function. There are no hidden programs or monitoring tools installed.

Do you send information to third parties?

No. We offer the option opt-in to receive news and updates from Ubisoft, but we do not send any nformation to any third parties

Will this affect the performance of my PC?

No. The services that we offer run only when you start the game and there are no background services.

Can I resell my game?

Not at this time.

Can I resell my game along with my Ubisoft account?
Your Ubisoft account features your personal data and cannot be given or sold to anyone.

Do you have to be a member of Uplay to use this service platform?
This system requires you to have a Ubi.com account. A Uplay and a Ubi.com account are the same. You don't need to use Uplay to use this service platform, but if you wish to do so, it's very simple.

Do you plan to implement this system on home consoles?
This system is for PCs only.

What happens if I pre-ordered my game without being aware of the permanent online connection requirement ? Can I get a refund?
Please check with your retailer to find out their return policies.

Will this system be available for every Ubisoft game?
Most upcoming Ubisoft PC games will make use of this system.

How does Ubisoft use my personal information? How can I control which data is actually provided to Ubisoft?
Ubisoft uses information provided by its customers only to ensure our services run properly for an optimal gameplay experience - including the customer service. Ubisoft does not use personal information for any other purposes, unless you have explicitly accepted for us to do so.

What happens if the server crashes on weekends or at night? Will there be 24/7 support?
Yes, Ubisoft provides 24/7 support on servers.

Why is Ubisoft forcing their loyal customers to sign up for a Ubisoft account when they don't want to give their private data and only play single player games?
We hope that customers will feel as we do, that signing up for an account will offer them exceptional gameplay and services that are not available otherwise.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote