Mario's World Forums  

Go Back   Mario's World Forums > The Rest > ► Readme Corner

► Readme Corner (Forum related to the archiving of official readme files for PC games.)

Closed Thread

Old 11th February 2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Mario
Special Guest

Post DCS KA-50 Black Shark.

Here is the official DCS KA-50 Black Shark readme file.

Quote:
DCS KA-50 BLACK SHARK 1.0

The Fighter Collection, Eagle Dynamics (c) 2008. All rights reserved.

News and additions you can see on the next links:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
http://forums.eagle.ru

================================================== =====

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum system requirements: Windows XP, Vista; CPU P4 2GHz, RAM 2 GB; Video 256MB RAM, compatible with DirectX9; 5GB of HDD space; sound card; DVD ROM; keyboard; mouse.

Recommended system requirements: Windows XP; CPU Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD X2, RAM 3 GB; Video Card with 512 MB RAM (ATI Radeon HD4850+ or nVidia GF8800+), compatible with DirectX9; 5GB of HDD space; sound card; DVD ROM; keyboard; mouse, joystick.

INSTALLATION

Insert the “DCS: Black Shark” disk in your DVD drive and allow the automatic installer to begin. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Note: You will need to be logged into Windows with Administrator rights in order to install the game.
If the installer does not start automatically, please go to My Computer, double-click on your DVD drive, find the Setup.exe program, and double-click on it to start the installer.

During the installation you will be prompted to select the game difficulty level. The default selection is “Game” mode. If you are new to aircraft simulators, or you prefer console “arcade” games, it is recommended to keep this option selected. You can always change or adjust the difficulty level later from within the game from the Options screen.

Recommended turn off anti-virus and security software because they can considerably slow the process of installation.

For Microsoft® Windows® Vista you need an administrator rights.

COPY PROTECTION

The system of protection requires online activatition using an internet connection. There are both automatic and manual activation options that are explained in the Quick Start manual located in the Doc folder.

After installing, you can remove the DVD and store it in a safe location.

CONTROL

List of keyboard commands and actions assigned in a game by default you can find in a Doc folder:

1. DCS-BS_Key_Commands_Ka-50_game_eng.pdf – list of keyboard commands for the Game mode.

2. DCS-BS_Key_Commands_Ka-50_real_eng.pdf – list of keyboard commands for the Simulator mode.

DOCUMENTATION

With a game is supplied a three manuals in a PDF format which you can find in a folder Doc.

1. DCS-BS_Quick_Start_Manual_eng.pdf – it is manual for a quick start. It included necessary information for installation, activation and Game mode playing.

2. DCS-BS_GUI_Manual_eng.pdf – it is user interface and editors manual. All pages, elements and functions of user interface and editors are described in it.

3. DCS-BS_Flight_Manual_eng.pdf – it is a Ka-50 flight manual. The modeled Ka-50 helicopter, all necessary information is described for flights and combat implementation.

MULTIPLAYER

The start of multiplayer game is produced from a separate shortcut « DCS Black Shark multiplayer»
Players can be connecting to each other on a network through direct IP-connection. Also required opened UDP connection (by default TCP and UDP port 10308).

ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY SOFTWARE

Some anti-virus and security programs (DrWEB anti-virus for example) can conflict with the game and cause severe performance degradation when using a joystick.

The indicators of such a conflict are:
- When moving the joystick the game slows down considerably.
- If the joystick remains untouched, game performance returns to normal.

If you have encountered this conflict, you will need to adjust your anti-virus accordingly to add the game as a trusted exception.

MISSION FILES

The mission file *.MIZ is an ZIP archive and can be opened any archiving. In a MIZ file contained at least lua file of mission and options file. Also it can contain pictures for briefing, sound files and set of ABRIS database files is included after preparation of mission.

CONTACTS

General:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

Technical support
Department of technical support will help you to settle problems, related to the game.
Before address to support, we ask you to prepare the following information.
- Your E-mail
- System specification
- Operating system
- Information about DVD drives and disk emulators
- Problem description and(or) error text message

Support E-mail: support@digitalcombatsimulator.com
You can find solutions and advices on the forum: http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=73

ADVICES FOR GAME PRODUCTIVITY

If you have a insufficient frame rates in the game please to do a next steps:
OPTIONS – SYSTEM – GRAPHICS:
- Check that WATER set to normal.
- Turn off HEAT BLURE
- Decrease VISIB RANGE
- Decrease SHADOWS
- Decrease TEXTURES
- Decrease SCENES
- Decrease resolution of game

OPTIONS – GAMEPLAY:

- Turn off MIRRORS
In the video drivers to decrease or turn off the antialiasing and anisotropic values.

Programs such as ICQ, web-browsers, voice chat programs can influence on the speed of multiplayer game. Disconnecting of these programs can increase the general productivity.

MULTY DISPLAY ADJUSTING

There is possibility to share of game window between two or three displays for rendering of a few cameras or the Shkval TV screen and ABRIS display.

For this purpose by means of video driver it is needed to manage a single workspace on monitors, in the game options to select overall workspace resolution and choose required MONITORS preset (1 camera, 3 cameras, Shkval + Camera +ABRIS, Shkval + Camera) in the graphic options.

The presets are placed in the Config\MonitorSetup folder.

UNINSTALLATION

For uninstall the game from the hard disk to enter in a menu Start, whereupon in Programs submenu choose a point Eagle Dynamics. Entering to there, click the left mouse button on the menu of Ka-50, in which choose a point Uninstall DCS Ka-50 Black Shark.

Second variants: enter in a menu Start, choose Settings, in which twice click the left mouse button on a Control Panel. In the opened window choose an “Add or Remove Programs”. Finding the game of DCS Ka-50 Black Shark, select it and choose Remove button.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Q: Why am I having problems installing Black Shark on my Vista system?
A: On a Vista system, do not use the ‘autorun’ function. Instead, run the installer manually using the setup.exe executable. Make sure you run the executable as the system administrator (right click and select). If you still experience problems, you can try disabling Vista's User Account Control (UAC) when starting Black Shark for the first time.
This issue will be fixed in a later patch for the Russian version and is likely already addressed for the western version.

Q: I am using the launcher.exe executable from the \...\bin\stable\ folder to launch the game, but it isn’t starting or results in an error.
A: The simulation should only be started through the desktop shortcuts or the start-menu icons.

Q: The ModelViewer.exe is not launching.
A: Make sure the game path does not include spaces.

Q: Does DCS: Black Shark take advantage of multi-core processors?
A: DCS: Black Shark uses a modified version of The Fighter Collection Simulation Engine (TFCSE), which was not originally designed to take advantage of multi-core processor technologies. Nevertheless, such systems do generally provide better game performance as a result of their native capabilities.
You can try manually setting the core affinity for DCS to all of the CPU cores, which may boots your game performance. To do this, Alt-Tab out of a running mission, set the CPU affinity for DCS and Alt-Tab back in. You will have to do this every time you run the sim.

Q: Why does the sim return to desktop when loading a mission?
A: The GUI and the game engine are separate entities and you are seeing the simulation switch from one to the other. There are two reasons for this:
1) shutting down the GUI prior to game start frees up more resources for the game engine and
2) the GUI is written on new technology that is not yet backwards-compatible with the game engine.
We hope to resolve this as DCS is updated with upcoming modules.

Q: Why is the trim response reversed on the Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick?
A: This is a peculiarity of the device. Normal axis functionality can be restored by checking the “Invert” checkbox in the Axis Tune Panel of the Controls set-up window in the game options.

Q: When using Saitek controllers, such as the X-52, why is the default collective axis assigned as Slider_0 instead of Axis_Z?
A: This is a peculiarity of the device. To use Saitek throttle controllers as the collective axis, you need to manually assign this function in the Controls set-up window in the game options.

Q: Why is my TrackIR not working in Black Shark, even though it’s working in my other games, including Lock On?
A: Black Shark requires the latest TrackIR drivers (v. 4.1.036 at the time of writing) and game updates. The latest drivers and updates are available on the official Natural Point website:
http://naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-s...d-manuals.html

Q: The sim does not respond to keyboard commands and I cannot un-pause the sim. I’m unable to save and restore my joystick profiles.
A: If you are running NewView, this is probably the source of the problem. You need to either Alt-Tab out and back into the sim or rename the NewView folder prior to starting the sim.

Q: I am programming my HOTAS using the native profilers (i.e. not the Controls set-up in the game options) and I’m having problems adding commands with multiple keys (e.g. CTRL+C). The sim fails to recognize the modifier (i.e. CTRL).
A: This is a bug in the game input system and will be corrected in the western release and a patch for the Russian release. We have provided a replacement file that should fix the issue. The replacement file has not been thoroughly tested and you will be installing it at your own risk. Before installing the replacement file, you should back-up the existing file located here: \...\bin\stable\NewInput.dll (376 Kb). Replace the existing file with the file linked below (380 Kb):
http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.ph...7&d=1226743234

Q: Is it possible to print out a keyboard/HOTAS commands list?
A: Yes. Navigate to the following folder: \...\Config\Input\Input_parser\. Make sure you read the readme file contained in the folder. To generate command lists in English, run the Input_to_TXT_eng batch file. To generate command lists in the language based on your OS, run the Input_to_TXT_national batch file. This will generate command list text files for all input devices in the same folder. You can then open the text files in a text or spreadsheet editor, such as MS Excel and edit the information as required.

Q: My trim function is not working. When I hit the trim button and neutralize the joystick, the cyclic in the cockpit also returns to neutral.
A: If you have other controllers plugged in, such as a racing wheel, they are probably being recognized by the sim and are commanding the cyclic to recenter. You can try either unplugging the unused controllers or disabling the FF in-game function in the configuration files. To do so, open \...\Config\Producer.cfg and change the “ForceFeedbackEnabled” line from “true” to “false”.

Q: Having trimmed the helicopter in level flight, when I press the trimmer again, why does it affect the helicopter’s pitch and speed?
A: The flight control system is not perfect and accumulates errors in the angles/speed (depending on the mode) it is assigned to maintain. When you press the trimmer for the second time, the new angles/speed assignments include the errors accumulated since the previous trim setting. To avoid excessive pitch changes when trimming, trim often when airspeed has changed.

Q: For non-FF sticks, is it possible to increase the time provided to neutralize the joystick after trimming the helicopter (i.e. the time between releasing the trim button and the trim setting taking effect)?
A: Yes. Open the following file: \...\Scripts\Aircrafts\Ka-50\FMOptions.lua. Look for the following line: “TrimmerTauInverse”. The lower this number, the longer the trim setting delay. Warning! Altering this value will likely result in a failure to reproduce track recordings accurately when they include a player-controlled helicopter.

Q: Why won’t AI aircraft attack targets as I assign them in the Mission Editor?
A: This is a complicated question and there are a few possibilities. Most likely, the attack profile is not properly set in the route. Make sure the AI attack waypoint and the consecutive waypoint are placed such that the AI will always detect the target. Target detection is not an instantaneous event – it’s a continuous process that begins at the attack waypoint and ends at the consecutive waypoint, unless the AI locates the targets in between. The AI scans the assigned target area and may not always detect the targets immediately after reaching the attack waypoint. Therefore, you should place the consecutive waypoint further in the general direction of the target to give the AI more time to search for targets.

Also, make sure you pick the right tool for the job. Because DCS: Black Shark models the individual capabilities of attack sensors on each aircraft, some are better suited for a particular mission than others. For example, an Su-24 equipped with air-to-ground radar and optics will likely detect targets much further than an Su-25, which is limited to attacking what the pilot can detect visually. In some cases, such as night time or poor visibility conditions, some aircraft may be severely limited in or completely unable to detect targets without targeting aids, such as illumination flares or target firing activity. DCS also accounts for cockpit visibility restrictions of each aircraft. In some cases, the aircraft may miss targets that are outside of the cockpit view limits. This problem can be minimized by setting the post-attack consecutive waypoint at a lower altitude and/or slightly off-center. This may help the AI locate the targets by placing the target area “above the rail.” For more information on target detection logic in DCS, see the following thread (some of the information may no longer be accurate):
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...097#post457097

Finally, the attack routine depends heavily on mission factors, such as threats detected in the target area, number and type of munitions carried on-board, wind conditions (the AI will line up/down wind to drop free-fall bombs), line-of-sight obstructions, attack waypoint speed and altitude, the number of targeting areas in the route, etc. Experiment with different settings to become familiar with AI attack routines.

Q: How can I access the coalitions menu after having started the mission design process?
A: You can’t. The coalitions menu is only available when pressing the ‘New Mission’ command.

Q: Why is the map in the Mission Editor not the same as the map in the game’s satellite (F10) view and the ABRIS navigation system?
A: The GUI is written on new technology that is not yet backwards-compatible with the game engine. We hope to resolve this as DCS is updated with upcoming modules.

Q: Is it possible to add custom broadcasting radio stations and audio files to populate the terrain with multiple broadcasting stations that the player can tune into?
A: Yes. The radio stations are defined in the following file: \...\Scripts\World\Radio\Beacons.lua. Look for the definition of the single broadcasting station in Black Shark (“Radio Mayak”):

beacons[167]={}
beacons[167]["name"]="Mayak"
beacons[167]["type"] = BEACON_BROADCAST_STATION
beacons[167]["position"]={}
beacons[167]["position"]["latitude"] = 44.744348 //latitude in degrees
beacons[167]["position"]["longitude"] = 40.093099 //longitude in degrees
beacons[167]["position"]["height"]=220.0 //altitude ASL
beacons[167]["position"]["course"]=0
beacons[167]["frequency"]=125675000.0 //frequency in hertz
beacons[167]["power"]=1500.0 //power in watts
beacons[167]["modulation"]="AM" //AM-FM modulation
beacons[167]["path"] = "RadioMayak" //catalog name in \...\Sounds\Samples\

To add new broadcasting stations, simply copy and paste this station and then alter the definition as required (coordinates, altitude, name, frequency, etc.). You can also create a unique audio catalog (“playlist”) for the station by creating a new folder in \...\Sounds\Samples\ using the station’s name as defined in the configuration file catalog line.

You will also need to delete the following file: \...\Sounds\SampleDurationTable.lua. It will be regenerated automatically when the simulation is started the next time. This process may take up to a few minutes.

Q: I am utilizing the multi-monitor function with the “Shkval+Camera” option selected. Can I reverse the camera and Shkval display monitors?
A: Yes. Unpack the file below to the following folder: \...\Config\MonitorSetup\. You should now have an additional option in the Monitors setting of the Display set-up screen in the game options, called “Camera+Shkval”. The new configuration file can be downloaded here:
http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.ph...0&d=1224543784

Q: The Activate Group trigger is not working for me.
A: Make sure you set a Time Hold value to the group. Time Hold can be set in the route settings of the ground vehicle group properties. For example, you can set it to 23 hours or 99 days.

Q: I am hosting a dedicated server and I cannot un-pause the mission.
A: Currently remote administration software will not transmit the 'pause/break' key to the remote computer. You will have to re-map the pause key to a more common key, such as 'p'.

Q: I can't get the triggers to work in multiplayer.
A: At this point, only the Activate Group trigger is working reliably in MP. We hope to correct this in a patch.

Q: The Logbook is not tracking my stats in multiplayer.
A: The Logbook is not currently able to do so. We hope to enable it to do so in a future update (patch or module).

Q: This chopper is insane! It turns every which way except my way!
A: The chopper is not insane. You are probably fighting with the flight control system instead of allowing it to help you fly the helicopter. Here are a few suggestions:

1) Remember that helicopters are inherently unstable and generally require continuous and smooth control input from the pilot. The Ka-50 is not an exception, although the coaxial design does provide increased general stability. More importantly, the Ka-50 is equipped with an advanced flight control system to help the pilot control the machine. When used properly, the FCS is capable of nearly flying the helicopter on its own, from a rock-steady hover to automatically flying the route and returning to base. Be prepared to spend some time learning how to fly the helicopter and how to best use the flight control system as intended.

2) To be procedurally accurate and fly realistically, always keep the autopilot channels on (blue buttons for Pitch, Bank, Heading). Some people find that turning the Heading channel off provides better yaw response and seems more natural, but this will likely build bad habits and disrupt the proper learning process. In real life, turning off the autopilot channels is not permitted under normal circumstances.

3) To get a better understanding of how the flight control system functions, try flying the helicopter on keyboard only. This will minimize your own input and "purify" your observations. Make sure you activate the controls display (RCTRL + ENTER). You should find that once you push the cyclic forward and add enough collective for take-off, the helicopter will stabilize and keep itself steady and on course. Try making a few easy turns and watch the behavior. Try trimming. Hopefully, you will see that the FCS is really there to keep the helicopter where the pilot points it with his controls, but it sometimes takes a few moments to catch up with control input and stabilize. Learn to work with it, instead of against it.

Also, remember that the FCS has only 20% authority. It cannot move the controls more than 20% of their full motion.

4) Use the trimmer - a lot. No, use it more than a lot. Ideally, trimming should be done in increments and every time the flight parameters change. However, trimming should also only be done when the helicopter controls and the helicopter itself are steady. In other words, maneuver by hand and once you've got it where you want it, trim. Make this a habit.

For more details on the trimmer mechanism and how/when to use it, see the dedicated trimmer FAQ entry:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...8&postcount=34

5) Once you feel comfortable, you can begin to experiment more. Try the Flight Director mode (single blue button to the right of the four channel buttons). The Pitch/Bank/Yaw channels should remain on. In Flight Director mode, the FCS will no longer stabilize the helicopter, but will still dampen the controls. To some, this may feel more natural, as the man-helicopter connection will be more direct without the FCS trying to do what it needs to stabilize the chopper. The helicopter will also be more responsive. This mode may be useful when active maneuvering is required, such as flying NOE, positioning for a cannon/rocket attack, evasive maneuvering or airshow performance. You will notice additional symbology on the HUD in this mode, which is designed to guide the pilot along the flight route, since the FCS will no longer follow it automatically.

Note, the same FCS functionality can be temporarily engaged with the Emergency Autopilot Off button on the cyclic (LALT+A). Note the word, "emergency."

Q: Is there a way to select the payload in MP games, other than what is already preloaded in the mission?
A: The payload can be chosen "live" in the mission by connecting with the ground maintenance crew. Make sure you are in a serviceable area (airbase apron or FARP). When stationed on a FARP, appropriate resources, such as a weapons depot, will need to be present in your proximity. Communication with the ground crew is possible by "voice" if the cockpit door is open and the APU/engines are off or by radio when the cockpit door is closed and/or the APU/engines are running. To link up with the ground crew by radio, you need to configure the radio accordingly (turn on the intercom, switch the radio to ground link ("ÍÎÏ")).

Q: What’s the easiest way to initiate a hover?
A: Although there are many different methods to do this, one of the most simple is to zero-out collective and pitch up to around +15 degrees and set trim. Then use the collective to maintain your desired altitude. Once your speed falls to around 10 kph, press the auto-hover button and set trim again when the nose falls to the horizon. To adjust your hover position, move the controls smoothly and re-trim to set the FCS to maintain the new position. Do not resume normal flight while in auto-hover.

Q: Are tracks recorded in multiplayer?
A: Yes. Multiplayer tracks are currently stored in the \...\Temp folder for clients and \...\Missions folder for hosts.

Q: Is is possible to display buildings in the Mission Editor?
A: Yes. Click on the Map Options icon (binoculars) and check the 'Buildings' option.

Q: How does the trimmer work and how am I supposed to use it?
A: Like in most other helicopters, the trimmer mechanism on the Ka-50 is activated by the trimmer button (cyclic). The trimmer mechanism then neutralizes the forces on the cyclic and pedals, which maintains the helicopter controls in their trimmed position. In the Ka-50, the trimmer is also used to command the Flight Control System to maintain aircraft flight parameters when the Pitch, Bank, Yaw FCS channels are on (as they should normally be). However, it's important to understand that the FCS is commanded by the trimmer when the button is released, not when it's pressed. The FCS stabilization functions are temporarily disabled while the trim button is held down. Once the button is released, the stabilization functions are reactivated under the newly commanded flight parameters.

It's also important to remember that the FCS in the Ka-50 has 20% authority over the motion range of the flight controls. In some cases, it may be unable to maintain commanded trim settings because of this limitation.

The best way to simulate proper trim mechanics in the simulation is through a Force Feedback joystick. However, because many flight simmers use non-FF sticks, the solution implemented is to introduce a short pause in control input when the trim button is released, to give the player a moment to recenter his joystick. The virtual helicopter controls and the physical joystick are then both neutral.

In reality, the trim button is used very often and you would be advised to do the same. Trim the helicopter whenever your flight parameters change, but be sure to only trim when the helicopter flight path is stable. Trimming in increments may help you avoid undesired control input when trimming.

You may trim in either discreet presses/releases of the button or by holding the button down while you maneuver the helicopter into the desired position. Once the helicopter is stable, you can release the trim button to command the FCS to stabilize the current flight parameters. In reality, the second method is not advised or typically used by Ka-50 pilots, because holding down the trimmer button while maneuvering the helicopter can easily lead to oversteering.

Q: Can I tweak the graphics beyond what is available in the GUI options and maybe boost my FPS?
A: The configuration files do allow significant tweaking. However, altering configuration settings may result in unintended consequences and negatively impact the simulation to the point of rendering it unusable. Any such alterations will be done at your own risk and you should back-up any files you intend to alter. Do not use the Windows Notepad to edit DCS configuration files. We recommend using Notepad++ or other similar software.

Some graphics options can be set in the options.lua file found in the \...\BlackShark\data\scripts folder. Specifically, you can change water to either '1' (low setting) or '0' (texture only). If you experience a frame hit when inside a dust cloud, setting the effects parameter to '2' will disable the visual effect.

Also, you can set a maximum FPS limit in the graphics.cfg file found in the \...\Config folder. The parameter can be found toward the bottom of the file. It is set to '0' by default (unlimited FPS). On some machines, setting an FPS limit may improve performance by allocating more free resources to the system. On other machines, it may have the opposite effect. If you have vertical synchronisation enabled in your video card driver, you may want to set the FPS limit to the refresh rate of your screen.

Q: Is it just me or are the yellow throttle levers and the cockpit door not clickable?
A: Yes, it's just you. Just kidding - the throttles are not clickable. They can be manipulated with the keyboard commands (Page-Up/Page-Down) or mapped as axes. The door is not clickable either, the key command to open/close it is RCTRL + C.

Q: What's wrong with the back-up ADI? It's either not functioning at all or goes completely haywire in roll.
A: If the back-up ADI is not functioning, you either failed to provide it power (switch by your right elbow) or to uncage it. To uncage the back-up ADI, simply roll the ADI knob to the left and it will "unlock" the safety. To cage it back up, press and hold the right mouse button to pull the knob back while rolling the mouse wheel to roll the knob to the right and "lock" it in place.

The back-up ADI accumulates significant errors in flight. To avoid this, you can simply leave it caged until the times comes for you to use it.

Q: Got any tips to more easily populate FARPS?
A: Sure, use the map ruler. The FARP is 180 m. across. When placed due north, approximately 1/3 of the left side is the empty area where you can place units. Here is an example:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...70&postcount=9

Also, it may be helpful to add a 90 m. (radius) trigger zone over the center of the FARP to give you a better visual landmark.

Q: Is it safe to clear my \...\Temp folder?
A: Yes, you can delete all of the contents in the Temp folder when you feel it is getting too large. Remember however, multiplayer tracks are currently stored in this folder, so be sure to review the contents before deleting. Do not delete the folder itself, but only the files inside.

Q: How do I use the Ka-50's Data Link?
A: The Data Link can be used to store target positions or other points of interest (POI) that were sent to you by your wingman or that you locked up with the Shkval. You can also send these information to your wingman if you want them to move to or recon a certain location, or to attack a designated target. The following assumes that you have set up your targeting system, data link, frequency and ID according to the manual.

How to store targets/POI in the ABRIS:
1. If your wingmen send you data that you want to store, just click the send/mem (ÏÐÄ/ÏÀÌ) button after you received the EKRAN message and the target type and wingman number buttons started to flash. You will then see the target/POI on the ABRIS map.
2. If you want to store targets/POI using the Shkval, first lock them up, then press the corresponding target type button and after that the send/mem button. Do not press any of the wingman buttons, as you do not want to send data.
Important note: after you have stored new targets/POI, reset the targeting system.

Sending targets/POI to your wingmen:
1. You can datalink targets/POI that are stored in the ABRIS. To do that, select the desired target by pressing the corresponding target type button, then press the button for the wingman number. When both buttons and ABRIS icons flash, press the send/mem button to send the data.
2. You can also send target points (TP) stored in the PVI navigation computer. To do that press the TP (ÎÒ) button on the PVI and the number of the target point. The target point will be shown as a flashing square on the ABRIS. Select the wingman and press the send/mem button.
3. Finally you can send a location although it has not been stored in the ABRIS/PVI. To do that, lock it up with the Shkval, press the respective wingman number button and then send/mem. Do not press any target type button as you do not want to select an already stored target.
Important notes: In case 1 and 2 the Shkval has to be caged. When storing or selecting a target in the ABRIS, be sure that you do not have a taget point selected from the PVI and vice versa, otherwise you will get problems because the computer does not know if you want to use the PVI or the ABRIS.

After sending the target location/POI, you have to tell your wingman via radio what you expect him to do, i.e, fly to the datalinked position, recon the position or attack the datalink-designated target(s).

Ingress Points (IP): If you want your wingman to use an ingress point for attacking a datalinked target or flying to a POI, first transmit the ingress point, then the target position/POI and finally send your orders via radio. The wingman will then fly to the ingress point and turn to the target/POI once he reaches it. Note that ingress points can only be used in conjunction with other target points, otherwise wingmen ignore them.

Q: I was editing a configuration file and it seems to have broken something big (the file got corrupted/the sim will not start/an error appears/textures are missing, etc).
A: Do not use the Windows Notepad to edit configuration files as it will corrupt them. We recommend using Notepad++ or similar code editing software.

Note, lua file errors are logged in \...\Temp\error.log

Q: Why does the helicopter pitch up?
A: As is the case with many other helicopters, the cyclic trim required to hold the Ka-50 still on the ground and the trim required to hover are not the same. Ground trim is somewhat aft of hover trim. In other words, when attempting a vertical take-off, the pilot has to push the stick forward to prevent the helicopter from pitching back. Because most flights in the simulation are started on the ground, the ground trim setting is used as the default neutral position of the virtual cyclic. This position is designed to prevent the helicopter from rolling on the ground, not to keep it still in flight. In flight, it pitches the nose up. To prevent this, simply re-trim the helicopter for take-off. This is a necessary procedure in real life.

Also note, canceling trim in flight will revert the virtual cyclic to its default neutral position and, once again, pitch the helicopter up. The real helicopter is not equipped with a "cancel trim" function. It was added for the benefit of flight simmers based on high demand, but should not be used as part of the Ka-50 simulation.

Enjoy the game!
Eagle Dynamics and The Fighter Collection
Closed Thread